Place the LED Set on the Body
- Place the LED set directly over the area to be treated, making sure that the faceplate of each LED pod touches the skin.
- For areas like the shoulder, hip or back, just lay the LED set over the affected area without using the strap.
- For other areas, such as the arm or leg, use the strap to hold the LED set in place. To use the strap, attach the strap clip to the end of the LED set and thread it through the other end. Then adjust the strap to a comfortable position.
2. For additional information regarding specific conditions or body areas, see the Directions for Common Conditions section below.
About Treatment Time
The LumiWave® device can be operated at two different modes, High Temperature Mode or Low Temperature Mode, that deliver treatment at two different pre-set time periods, depending on the heat tolerance of the user. These modes are selected using the two arrow-shaped buttons on the controller. The upper button activates High Temperature Mode, which delivers treatment for 20 minutes at 108° F (42° C). The lower button activates Low Temperature Mode, which delivers treatment for 30 minutes at 106º F (41° C) Both modes deliver the same light dosage.
Select Low Temperature Mode (30-minute) or High Temperature Mode (20-minute) treatment depending on your tolerance for heat. You’ll receive safe treatment using either mode because the LumiWave® device automatically monitors and controls the delivery of infrared light energy for either of these time periods. The device turns off automatically at the end of the selected time period.
Although the LumiWave® device regulates the temperature at approximately 108° F (42° C) in High Temperature Mode and 106º F (41° C) in Low Temperature Mode, the actual temperature resulting from application of the device will vary from person to person.
Most people will not obtain additional benefit by exceeding the pre-set times per treatment session on the same affected area.
For additional information regarding specific conditions or body areas, see the Directions for Common Conditions section below.
About Frequency of Treatment
Most people find that it is sufficient to treat any given area two times per day, or as often as every six hours. However, the LumiWave® device is safe to use for up to three times a day every six to eight hours for up to three weeks. You may repeat treatment periodically whenever pain occurs.
To Activate Treatment
- To treat for 20 minutes (High Temperature Mode), press the upper treatment button adjacent to the green indicator LED (five dots) on the controller. You’ll note the following signals:
- Two beep tones from the controller
- A red light on the controller indicator, which remains on during treatment
- A red indicator light on each LED pod
- To treat for 30 minutes (Low Temperature Mode), press the lower treatment button (three dots). You’ll note the following signals:
- One beep tone from the controller
- An amber light on the controller indicator, which remains on during treatment
- A red indicator light on each LED pod
When Treatment is Complete
The LumiWave® device automatically turns treatment off at the end of the treatment period by turning off power from the controller to the LED set. At that time, the device enters the Ready mode, indicated by these signals:
- Three beep tones from the controller
- A green light on the controller indicator
- The indicator light on each LED pod turns off
Cleaning Your LumiWave®
Simply wipe it down with either a mild detergent or alcohol. Do not use bleach.
In Ready mode, the LumiWave® device is available to activate again to treat another body area. If no additional treatment is necessary, you may unplug the AC adapter from the power outlet.
To Stop Treatment
You can stop treatment at any time by pressing both the 30-minute (Low Temperature Mode) and 20-minute (High Temperature Mode) treatment buttons at the same time. This causes the controller to turn off power to the LED set. The device then enters the Ready mode, just as happens when the device automatically turns off treatment at the end of the pre-set treatment time. From Ready mode, you can activate the LumiWave® device again to treat another body area. If no additional treatment is necessary, you may unplug the AC adapter from the power outlet.
To Treat Large or Multiple Areas
You can use the LumiWave® device to treat as many painful areas as you wish, whether these are portions of one large area or are in different locations.
For large areas: While the device is in Ready mode, move the LED set over two inches to a new portion of the same area. Then press the 30-minute (Low Temperature Mode) or 20-minute (High Temperature Mode) treatment button to activate treatment. You may use plastic wrap as a “sterile barrier.” At the end of treatment, repeat this procedure until the entire area has been treated.
For multiple areas: While the device is in Ready mode, move the LED set to the new area. Then press the 30-minute (Low Temperature Mode) or 20-minute (High Temperature Mode) treatment button to activate treatment of that area. At the end of treatment, repeat this procedure for every new area.
Directions for Common Conditions
The following directions provide additional information for treating specific conditions or body areas. However, always consult a medical professional about any specific medical concerns.
Strains, Sprains and Contusions
Treat these conditions initially with ice, following standard treatment recommendations, or as recommended by a medical professional. After two hours of ice treatment, you can switch to using the LumiWave® device for the rest of the rehabilitation process.
If you decide to continue ice treatments, always do the LumiWave® device treatments after the ice, not before it.
Using the device, you may treat an area for a single 20-minute (High Temperature Mode) or 30-minute (Low Temperature Mode) period. You may repeat this treatment as often as every six hours.
To reduce pain and stiffness in the foot, and increase general blood circulation to it, place the LED set along the top of the foot for one treatment period (Photo: 1).
To treat the ankle, do a series of three to four treatments in different locations moving up the ankle, as shown in photos 2, 3 and 4. To begin, use the strap to wrap the LED set around the lower part of the ankle, and then activate treatment. At the end of treatment, move the LED set up to treat the next location. Repeat until you have treated all locations around the ankle.
Use the strap to wrap the LED set around the shin, as shown in photo 5. You can also place the set along either side of the shin to increase circulation in that area.
For pain and stiffness from plantar fasciitis in the foot, place the LED set along the bottom of the foot, from heel to toe as shown in photo 6. Treat for one treatment period.
For pain and stiffness in the knee (such as from a sprain or arthritis), do a series of three treatments in three different locations below, across and above the knee joint.
To begin, use the strap to wrap the LED set around the leg below the knee area, as shown in photo 7. Then activate a treatment. At the end of treatment, move the LED set to treat the next location across the kneecap. Repeat this process for the third location just above the knee. The Lumiwave® Double model, with 400 LEDs, can treat a larger area at one time, as shown in photo 8.
For pain and stiffness around the elbow (medial or lateral epicondylitis), do a series of three treatments with the LED set placed in 3 different locations below, across and above the elbow joint (Photos: 9, 10, 11). To save time, you may also just treat the painful area, instead of doing the series.
For pain and stiffness in the wrist, first use the strap to wrap the LED set around the wrist joint, and deliver one period of treatment (Photo: 12). Then wrap the LED set around the forearm, and deliver an additional treatment (Photo: 13).
For pain and stiffness associated with shoulder conditions (such as rotator cuff or adhesive capsulitis), do a series of three treatments with the LED set placed below, across (Photo: 14), and over (Photo: 15) the shoulder joint.
For back pain and stiffness, place the LED sets along the affected area. Or use the Lumiwave® Double model, to treat a larger area of the back at one time. (Photo: 16)
When Finished Using the Device
When you have completed treatments using the LumiWave® device, and between each use, please follow these directions:
- Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet.
- Remove the controller from the belt clip. Then disconnect it from the AC adapter.
- Loosen the strap and remove the LED set from the treated area.
- Disconnect the controller from the LED set.
- To clean your LumiWave, simply wipe it down with either a mild detergent or alcohol. Do not use bleach.
- Store the device in a clean, dry place. The recommended range of storage temperatures is -22° F to 131° F (-30° C to 55° C). The recommended range of storage humidity is 10% to 95%.
Do not use the LumiWave® device to treat any of the following conditions or body areas:
- Hemorrhage or blood clots
- Known malignancies
- Diabetes and associated areas of poor circulation
- Thyroid gland
- Over the vagus nerve
- Eye or area surrounding the eye
- If pregnant, over the area of the fetus
- If have a heart condition, in the area of the heart
- In direct contact with open wounds
- In direct contact with an infected area, inflamed area or skin eruptions
- Consult a medical professional regarding any serious medical condition.
- Consult a medical professional before using any topical medications in conjunction with use of the LumiWave® device. Do not use the LumiWave® device in conjunction with ointments that contain heat-producing ingredients, as skin burns may result.
- Do not use the LumiWave® device on the eyes, do not look directly into the LEDs, and do not expose the eyes to infrared light for a prolonged period of time.
- If treatment with the LumiWave® device is ineffective after 21 days of use, seek treatment from a medical professional.
- Unattended use of the LumiWave® device by children or incapacitated persons may be dangerous.
- Exposing skin to LED light for time periods exceeding the recommended treatment times may cause discomfort.
- Avoid putting the LumiWave® device in contact with moisture and water. Never submerge the device in water or any other liquid.
- When the LumiWave® device is not in use, unplug it from the power source.
- Always use the AC adapter supplied with the LumiWave® device or an AC adapter provided by BioCare Systems, Inc.
- When using the AC adapter supplied with the LumiWave® device, always plug it into a standard U.S. household electrical power outlet (120-volt AC, 60 Hz).
- Do not try to open the device controller, adapter or LED pods. The LumiWave® device contains no customer-serviceable parts.